This post is also available in: Nederlands
Forky Mickey Mouse ears are super fun to make. They are very easy and you don’t need many supplies.
Forky is the new Toy Story character in the Toy Story 4 movie. Forky is crafted by Bonnie that really comes to life as a cuddly toy. He is made of waste and therefore thinks he is waste and belongs in a rubbish bin. Woody and friends can convince him that he now plays an important role in Bonnie’s hug life.
Forky Mickey Mouse ears are a very nice accessory to wear at home or to go to any Disneyland parc.
What you need to create the Forky Mickey Mouse ears
- Regular piece of white fabric for the ears – tip: use an old cotton sheet, an old t-shirt,….
- A blue piece of fabric or tulle for the bow
- Cardboard – I used the cardboard from milk cartons
- Blue Ribbon, Blue pipping, …
- 2 Size Wiggle Eyes
- Red Chenille Pipes
- Glue Gun – or possibly any other decent glue (a stick of glue will not work)
- Filling– for pillows, from an old pillow, old clothes in fine strips, cotton balls, toilet paper,…
- A sewing machine if you have it, it’s not necessary
How you make it
Without a sewing machine:
- Download the png image, you can print it out and get started, silhouette users can insert the image into the program and Cricut users can just look at this link.
- The rectangle is the fabric you need for the bow. The light colored ears are the size of the fabric and the dark ones are the size of the cardboard. Now that we are working with tulle you can make several layers of tulle into a bow so that it is nice and fluffy!
- Cut 4 ears out of fabric and 4 ears out of cardboard.
- Take 1 piece of cardboard, 1 piece of fabric and a little filling.
- Place the fabric on the table, put a small amount of filling on it and the cardboard on top.
Apply glue to the top of the cardboard, pleating the fabric around it. Do this for the four ears.
- Take 2 ears and glue the cardboard together, do this twice. Now you have 2 ears ready.
- Take the piece of ribbon and glue it to the side of the ears so that you no longer see the seam of the two cardboard pieces together.
- Take your headband and position the ears correctly, indicate with dashes where you want to stick them.
- Apply glue to the bottom of one ear and hold it firmly against the headband, repeat for the other ear.
- Now you can put a ribbon between the headband and the bottom of the ears to make the finish more beautiful.
- Cut the fabric for the ribbon, make a nice bow with your fingers. Between the folds of the bow, where you’re keeping it in place with your fingers, apply some glue so that the bow stays in shape when you let go.
- Take a red craft wire and twist it around the center of the bow, then form Forky’s arms. Forky has three fingers on each hand!
- Apply glue between the ears on the headband. Stick the bow on it.
- Stick a big and a small eye on the headband.
- Now you’re done! Make sure to take a picture of your Forky Mickey Mouse ears and tag me.
Below you can see photos of how I worked. More explanation and video images here: No Sew Mickey Mouse Ears
Working method with sewing machine:
Follow steps 1 to 3, then sew 2 pieces of fabric good sides together, leaving the bottom seam completely open so that you can turn the fabric. Put the cardboard in and fill with the filling. Sew by hand or use the glue gun. And continue with step 9. Step 8 can be done if desired, but is less necessary here, but can give a nice finish, of course, with that blue ribbon for Forky!